Who is a Periodontist?

Stock image for Who is a Periodontist?

A periodontist specializes in treating issues that affect your gums and bones in your mouth. Their specialty is in diagnosing, preventing, and treating gum disease. The periodontist can help manage signs of advancing gum disease such as oral inflammation. Gum disease occurs when the tissues around the teeth get infected that causes inflammation. The plaque-forming bacteria that generally build up on your teeth cause this swelling can bur below the gum line and spread infection. A periodontist is needed when the treatment is more extensive. They will review your dental and medical histories to provide you with the best treatment option. The options will include both surgical and non-surgical methods.
Periodontists can perform the following procedures:

  • Scaling and root planing
  • Gum graft
  • Laser treatments
  • Dental crown
  • Dental implant
  • Regenerative procedures
  • The periodontal pocket reduction procedure
  • Dental crown lengthening
  • Ridge augmentation

It takes a periodontist to complete dental school where they receive a doctor of dental surgery or doctor of medicine in dentistry degree. After graduation, the periodontitis will continue in specialized training that involves completing: four years of dental school, a three-year residency in periodontics, a written and oral examination with the American Board of Periodontology.
A general dentist may treat some level of gum problems, but if it gets worse (a more complex case), a periodontist will be referred. If you notice signs and symptoms of swollen or puffy gums, bleeding, or receding gums, you should make an appointment with your dentist to be schedule a visit with a periodontist.
When you visit a periodontist, it will be helpful if you tell him about the symptoms you are experiencing.

  • Your periodontist can review your medical history to identify any factors that may contribute to your symptoms.
  • They will perform an oral exam to check the gums for inflammation and plaque and tartar buildup.
  • Measure periodontal pockets, which are the depth of the gum pocket.
  • Take x-rays to check for bone loss.
Contact 201.567.7766