At Periodontal Associates, we are committed to providing patients the most advanced and effective dental treatments while also considering patient comfort. Laser dentistry services from Dr. Chetan S. Patil offer the cutting edge technology and gentle treatment our patients have come to expect. While there are many ways in which laser dentistry may be used to treat oral health issues, today we will focus on treatments for the gums. To learn more about laser dentistry for the gums, contact our practice in Englewood, NJ to schedule a consultation.
What Is Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry refers to the use of lasers to diagnose and treat oral health issues. Dental lasers use light waves to precisely target areas requiring treatment. Treatments may include vaporizing soft tissue, reducing periodontal bacteria, removing decay from the teeth, or hardening dental fillings.
Although the use of lasers to perform dental procedures may see futuristic, lasers have been a part of dentistry for over 20 years. During this time, dentists have found more uses for lasers while also refining procedures to improve patient comfort.
Laser Treatments For The Gums
Because of the precision and gentleness of dental lasers, dental lasers are being used in a variety of treatments for the gums. Here are just a few of the most popular treatments:
- Laser Gum Contouring: For some, excessive gum tissue may partially obscure the teeth, causing what many refer to as a “gummy smile.” In such cases, dental lasers may be used to contour the gum line by removing excess gum tissue. Laser gum contouring is a simple yet effective treatment for enhancing the smile’s appearance through improving the proportions of the gums.
- Crown Lengthening: Crown lengthening is a procedure in which gum tissue is removed when not enough tooth sits above the gum line. Crown lengthening is most commonly used in restorative dentistry treatments, such as treating tooth decay below the gum line, treating a tooth that has cracked near the gum line, or when placing dental crowns. Dental lasers allow for the gentle, precise removal of gum tissue in crown lengthening treatment.
- Treatment of Gum Disease: One of the most effective uses of lasers in dentistry is for the treatment of gum disease. When treating gum disease, dental lasers may be used to remove infected gum tissue, remove bacteria from deep pockets, or to facilitate root planing and scaling. Dental lasers make it possible to undergo many gum disease treatments without the need for painful scalpels or other less precise tools.
The Benefits Of Treating The Gums With
Laser dentistry offers many benefits for the treatment of periodontal issues. Some of the most notable benefits include:
- Lasers cauterize as they cut gum tissue
- Cauterization reduces bleeding and the risk of infection
- Lasers are gentle and result in less trauma to the gum tissues
- Recovery times are much shorter when dental lasers are used
- Dental lasers are more precise than traditional tools, such as scalpels
- Patients experience reduced pain and discomfort during and after their procedure
Find Out Which Treatments Are Right For You
For more information about laser dentistry for the gums, or to find out which treatments are right for you, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Patil.